Monday, November 22, 2010

Christmas Traditions

When I was a little girl, our preparation for Christmas started around December 8.
It was a tradition to prepare the tree on December 8: it is a national holiday, schools and offices are closed and most of us spent the day decorating the tree, making our Nativity scenes and preparing the home for Christmas.
Years have passed, Ikea has come and now shops start selling Christmas decoration in October, lights are switched on in November, malls are ready for Christmas shopping just after Halloween (which, by the way, we started celebrating just a few years ago).
Is it good? Is it bad?
Having an Internet shop I now have to prepare Christmas cards and items a long before December and I'm in the Christmas mood and colors since last July, but I'm a bit annoyed to be out for shopping in October when it's still warm and sunny and see Christmas decorations.
On December 8 school and offices are still closed but shops are not. They start their Christmas marathon in November and are always open, Monday through Sunday without any stop.
I must admit that, if I have time, I take everything out on December 1: I love the Christmas tree, the decorations and the house looks so pretty in this period.
In this Christmas spirit, I want to share with you a card that I'm entering to SirStampalot November Challenge:
Christmas Traditions
 
Here's the link if you want to have a look at the challenge: http://sirstampalotchallenge.blogspot.com/2010/11/november-challenge.html
For this card I used a lovely Little Claire Stamp which I coloured with watercolor pencils, chalks and, of course, some glitter.
I love these hedgehogs and this card represents a Christmas tradition in our family: on Christmas Eve we go to my Mom's, have dinner there and then open presents. When I was a little girl, we went to my grandparents' house where the whole family met and I was so excited to see everybody coming in with beautiful dresses and presents that we were in charge to distribute shortly after dinner.
Well, that's all for today, I have to prepare some more Christmas cards!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there

    I loved reading your post, it always so nice to hear other peoples Countreis traditions.

    Such a sweet card, thank you for sharing with us at Stampalot Challenge this month and good luck.

    B x

    Still a couple of days to enter for a Stampalot voucher here

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a sucker for traditions, yours sounds lovely. I also love to get my tree up early, nice before christmas but always glad to get it down again as soon as boxing day is over lol. Love your card and the cheery little image. Thanks for joining us at Sir Stampalot this month.
    Pinky

    ReplyDelete