Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sadness & New Challenges

Here we are.
Time has come to put away our Christmas Tree.

In Italy, Christmas holidays end on January 6 when we celebrate the "Epiphany", the day the Three Kings visited little Jesus and brought Him their gifts.

We usually hang stockings near chimneys or in the kitchen and on January 6 children find them full of sweets and little gift, delivered by the "Befana", an old woman with worn clothes and shoes who arrives riding a broom.

Our daughter being still a little girl, we do celebrate each and every magical occasion we have in this time of the year. When I was a little girl, I did not believe in Santa bringing gifts but I did believe in this old lady riding a broom and I still remember when, at the age of 8, my parents confirmed my suspects that this old lady did not exist.

As we usually prepare our Christmas Tree a bit earlier than the traditional day, we also put it away a bit later than foreseen, the Sunday after January 6. So today is The Day.

I'm sad because I love the atmosphere, the decorations, the lights, all the things which happen in this time of the year, and the corner of the Christmas Tree will be sad and dark tomorrow morning. But Christmas is over, everywhere around us is no more decorated, sales in shops have begun, the school is reopening tomorrow so it's the right moment to put things away.

For our family, Christmas time is really a rich period, with lots of events and - in particular - lots of eating and celebrating.

We start on Christmas Eve when we eat fish at my mom's. Then, we have our Christmas lunch with my in-laws. Then again, December 26 being a holiday, we have lunch at my mom's. Of course, we celebrate the arrival of the New Year on December 31 and we have lunch at my mom's on January 1. Of course, we try to spend time together every Sunday even if it's not an official holiday. We finish with January 6 but these last years we tend not to celebrate with any kind of lunch...
Because... in between December 24 and January 6 we have three important birthdays: our daughter, one of my brothers-in-law and my mother.
Do you understand why I say we spend most of our time eating and celebrating (and buying presents and opening them)?
Sometimes I think it's a real tour-de-force...

To blow away the sadness of these last couple of days, my daughter and I spent some time together painting and creating, so I had the chance to make some cards for the shop and for some challenges.

Today, I show you a card made using a very sweet digi from Bee Crafty http://www.artisangroup.org.uk/page5.htm

Here's the card:
I decided to enter it in two Challenges:

Sweet Sketch Wednesday Challenge # 83, which gave us a Sketch to follow: http://sweetsketchwednesday.blogspot.com/2011/01/sweet-sketch-wednesday-83.html

and

Aud Sentiments Challenge # 19 which says: Only Have Two Words:
http://audsentimentschallengeblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/challenge-19-and-winner-of-18.html

It's the first time I enter this last Challenge!

Well, that's all for today, better go and start putting Christmas things away...

10 comments:

  1. Hi, I just wanted to let you know that your link won't let us post a comment on your card. I had to delete the extenion and just put your main blog name in the get it to work. Thank you for sharing your sweet family tradition at Christmas time. It just made my heart so warm to hear you describe the events that take place in your home. I have a hard time ending the Christmas season too. It is such a blessed time of the year. Your card is so sweet. I love this image. It is one of my favorites from Bee-Crafty. I love your soft pastel colors and how you popped the little girls hat. Thanks again for joining us!
    Nancy SSW-DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had trouble posting a comment too - but I got it figured out!

    Love this Bee Crafty image - the soft colors you used are perfect for it!

    Thanks for sharing your Christmas story - I really enjoyed it!

    Thanks so much for playing with us at Sweet Sketch Wednesday.

    Deanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one adorable card!! Thank you for sharing not only your card but also the telling of your Christmas traditions. So wonderful to read! Thanks for joining us at SSW.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling, darling card! I am always sad to put away the decorations...the house always seems a little bare until I get use to it! Thanks for sharing your traditions! Thanks for joining us at SSW this week!
    Judi - SSW DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just so cute and I love the soft colors with the fun and bright snowflakes. Thanks so much for joining us at Sweet Sketch Wednesday.

    Peace & Luv,
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is absolutely adorable! Love the soft pinks with this sweet image, and your snowflakes just makes it all pop!
    Thanks for playing along with us at SSW.

    Jackie - DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet image and a lovely card. It has such a wonderful feel to it. Very pretty indeed. Thanks for joining us at Sweet Sketch Wednesday!
    Sharon
    SSW-DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great card and a super cute image, very pretty and I love your design papers. Great job.
    Thanks so much for joining us at Sweet Sketch Wednesday and good luck.
    Hugs
    Kathie SSW-Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I have always loved that sweet image. Your did such a sweet job on your card. Love the fun colors. Thanks for playing along @SSW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card, so clean & perfect. I really enjoyed reading about your christmas traditions, TFS & thanks so much for joining us this week @ SSW :)

    Genevieve.

    ReplyDelete